Thursday 29 October 2009

Emma reports from Kenya

Emma has just reported back from Nakuru in Kenya. She sounds like she is very busy. Emma and the others left the UK in mid September. Emma writes:
Hi David!
Just thought i would give you a quick email to let you know how things are going in Kenya!

Everything is going well, so far i have been working at the local hospital in Nakuru (PGH). So far we have visited the abandoned baby ward, pediatrics, maternity, new born baby ward, psychiatric and even theater! I feel it has given me a good insight into medical work and has helped me a lot with medical experiance when i train to be a nurse in 2010.

I have also been working at Workers primary school. I teach Standard 3 Zambia and they are all very nice! My class has 65 students in it and i was very scared when i first went in the classroom and saw loads of little faces looking at me but its going well. I have set up a penpal routine with my local school in England. My class have just sent their letters of so we should recieve letters back from England soon which is very exciting!

ALso since we have been here we have started to paint bedrooms in an orphanage. By ofchance we met a nun called Felistas who is running a childrens orphanage on the outskirts of Nakuru, she has just built and refurbished the orphanage but has run out of money to paint. So we decided to buy it for her and then go and paint it. So far we have completed one room and are yet to complete the other! Its a very bright yellow, the children loved it!

Also Helen, Abbie and myself met an American lady called Sherry. She married a Kenyan man and is know living in Nakuru and has been on and of for 16 years. At her home she has taken in eleven orphans, 6 babies aged from about 0-3 years and 5 teenage girls aged 10-15 one of which being HIV positive. I have been visiting the orphange about 2-3 times a week just giving her a hand and helping her out when she needs it! as you can imagine its quite a hand full to look after eleven children!

As for travelling we have also done quite alot since we have been here. We've visited the giraffe sancutary in Nairobi, elephant orphanage in Nairobi, Carnivore!, Lake Naivasha, Lake Nakuru, Climbed Menengai Crater (second biggest crater in the world!), been to the Maasai Mara!, Hells Gate, Thomson Falls, we visited Karanja's parents in Kinangob recently which was beautiful as its up in the mountains and we have evem been horse riding! But we have so much more to do. My favortie place to visit so far was most probably Thomson falls it was so beautiful! Me, Abbie and Helen are staying with Karanja, Mary and Vanessa! We love it!

Everybody here in Kenya is so lovely and I am having an Amazing time!

Thankyou so much for all your help in planning this for us!

Many thanks
Emma Price
I love the pen pal idea with her local school.

No comments: